[Amps] MLA-2500 retrofit.

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Mar 3 00:09:24 PST 2010

> Probably the GI7B although I don't think it runs as much power
> as the the 8875s did and I am not familiar with the IM products
> from that tube.  The plate dissipation is 350 watts or 700 watts
> for a pair which with good efficiency would be enough for the
> legal limit.

The rated plate dissipation for the 8875 (transverse cooled) was
300 Watts - the cooler is not as efficient as the 8874.  From
the Eimac Data Sheet:

   The three types differ only in the method of cooling and
   anode dissipation: the anode of the 8873 is designed for
   conduction cooling and is rated for 200 watts; the 8875 has
   a transverse cooler for forced air cooling and is rated for
   300 watts; and the 8874 requires axial flow forced air cooling
   and is rated for 400 watts.

Plate voltage and current are similar for both the 8875 and
the GI7B with the latter capable of slightly higher voltage.
The GI7B also has a 7 W grid vs. the 5 W grid in the 8875.

> I don't recall seeing conversions running over about 1 KW
> which is still a healthy signal for a pair of tubes that
> cost about $35 each.  You need some one more familiar with
> the tube than I to come up with a real figure on what to
> expect for output.

Although the MLA-2500 could do 1500 W output, that is really
pushing a pair of 8875 tubes.  1500 W output at 60% efficiency
(doing well for the MLA-2500 given its design compromises)
represents 500W dissipation per tube and had to be really
toasting the grids ... probably why the amplifiers are now
dead <G>.  While the cathode may be capable of those levels,
pushing the anode and grid that hard is not wise.  Even
with Eimac's own typical operating values for AB2 below
30 MHz a pair of 8874 tubes is at maximum plate dissipation
at 1200 W peak output.

Other than the differences in filament voltage and bias,
the GI7B would seem to be a fairly good candidate to
replace the 8875.  Others have used the GS36B/4CX400A
but given the filament and screen issues along with the
significantly higher cost, the GI7B is an appealing
alternative.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV