[Amps] soft start, how to determine if needed?

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 00:48:40 PST 2010

 Hi Alex, no, I didn't forget what inrush protection is; that is why I
suggested the 25 ohm resistor and shorting relay.

You are the one suggesting  installing a one ohm resistor and leaving it in
the circuit. Please go back and  read your email. I was simply responding
to your suggestion and explaining why  it is a bad idea.

Also, on the idea of the  capacitors supplying current peaks during the
peak of the AC cycle and  recharging them during the remainder of the cycle,
please consider  this:

The capacitor filter and the  load resistance are in parallel. When the
capacitor is charged as much as  possible, it reaches some given voltage. For
example, let's say 3000vdc. When AC  voltage from the secondary drops below
this value during most of the AC cycle,  the rectifier diodes prevents any
secondary current from flowing into the  capacitor (and load).

While there is no current  flowing from the secondary, there is no
capacitor charging. In fact, this is the  time that the capacitor provides current
flow into the load. The capacitor  voltage decreases as it discharges into
the load and this is what causes ripple  voltage. You can't see the ripple
voltage on a dc voltmeter as it indicates the  average voltage from peak to the
bottom of the ripple. Even if the meter could  respond to the 120 ripples
per second, your eyes can't see  that.

When the AC cycle reaches the  point that the secondary voltage is more
than the capacitor value plus the  rectifier voltage drop, the capacitor
charging commences again. The load is also  supplied needed current during the
charging period from the transformer. During  the short charging period the
capacitor voltage builds up again to maximum value  determined by the
transformer primary and secondary resistance and the cycle  continues as above.

If the load is removed, the  capacitor charges to full voltage and remains
there as basically very little  discharge going on.

The amplitude of the ripple is  quite predictable. We know that one time
constant will allow a 65% discharge a  capacitor. If we have a 50 microfarad
capacitor and a 4000 ohm load, this  constitutes a 200 millisecond time
constant. At 60 cycles per second, a half  cycle is 8.3 milliseconds. The voltage
drop over this time is .65 X 8.3 / 200 =  .027. With our 3000vdc power
supply, this is 81v peak. If the filter C was 25  microfarads, the peak ripple
voltage would be twice as much and so on. This  is an approximation since the
discharge period is actually somewhat less than  8.3 milliseconds,
typically 20% or so less.

As can be seen, the transformer  has to supply all of the needed power for
the load and charging during the short  charging period. If the charging
period is only 20% of the cycle, then five  times as much current is required
to make up the needed energy. Losses being  related to current squared, in
this case, they are 25 times greater than a  purely resistive load. No wonder
we see the drop in plate voltage from no load  to full load. The drop is
also predictable but you have to know the transformer,  power cable and ac
service loss resistance to calculate it.

None of this has anything to do  with turn on surges. That is a different
but similar issue. Time constants are  involved in that as well and is also
fairly predictable.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/28/2010 1:43:39 A.M. Central Standard Time,