[Amps] WD-40, snaked, vermin and puddytats

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Mar 5 23:23:46 PST 2010

DAVE WHITE wrote:
> " In 30 years here, 2 mice in the
> house, and they must have watched Eastwood's "Gauntlet"...  The snakes don't
> bother me or my wife & they rid all rodents post-haste."
>
> we get invaded by mice every autumn.  I catch them in the live traps and release them in the next village about 5 miles away, but I swear the bloody things are homing mice.

You "live trap" mice?
We have two cats. One is about 8 and the other just about two. The older
one taught the younger one how to hunt.  Mice are not usually a problem
although a cat barfing up a big mouse can be...problematic.
The young one stays home, the older one gets let out for half an hour to
an hour per day. He occasionally brings home rodents large enough they
drag on the driveway even with him holding his head high and walking on
his toes.  18# and 40" toes to toes stretched out. He does a great job
on the neighborhood mice out here in the country.  We have lots of
Coyotes so even "barn cats" learn to stay in or near the barn at night.
Strays don't last long.

The biggest problem is the fall mouse migration, when they get in around
who knows what and into the basement ceiling.  We have a suspended
ceiling that isn't quite up to supporting an 18# cat chasing mice.

Of course there was the night I was sitting here on the air and running
the computer when he brought in a good sized live one and tried to teach
me how to catch mice. He proudly brought the thing in, put it on the
floor and placed on of those big feet on it, looked up at me and said,
purrrrphhh, and let the mouse go. He jumped on it and brought it back.
Each time he'd let it go a bit farther  and admonish me with a
Purrrphhh.... Finally he let out a Purrrrphhhh...let the mouse go,
turned around and walked out the door as if to say..."I showed you how
to do it 4 times, now it's up to you".  The only thing he didn't do was
shut the door behind himself.  I guess he figured I was hopeless and not
smart enough to even catch mice.  That's why I got a cat!

This is before he grew up! http://www.rogerhalstead.com/cat_files/Lunch.htm

73

Roger (K8RI)