[Amps] Solenoid polarity on DC reed relays

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Wed Mar 10 11:43:39 PST 2010

Thanks for the tip. The solenoid coil measures exactly the same in both
directions (670 ohms), which is pretty close to the claimed coil resistance
(675 ohms). Also, when using the DVM's diode/continuity test position, the
coil reads "OPEN" in both directions, indicating that there is no diode in
there.

So apparently this relay does not contain an internal snubber.

But now that you've brought the question up...

The circuit I've designed uses two Kilovac HC-1 (26.5V) vacuum relays and
this small 26.5V reed relay all in series with an appropriate dropping
resistor (and an appropriate current shunt resistor across the reed relay),
all across 120VDC as supplied by the SB-220 and switched through a Harbach
T-R board. What method of relay coil snubbing would be "best practice" in a
setup like this? Is a simple reverse-biased rectifier diode across each coil
sufficient?

Bill W5WVO