[Amps] 833 amp

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Mar 17 07:07:51 PDT 2010

The 833 is still a popular tube with the AM crowd 160-40M but usually Class
C plate modulated. It was used in many BCB transmitters in the 500-1000W
range.

As an AM linear the carrier efficiency will only be around 33% so Id advise
a decent airflow from a muffin fan or two that will reach all the tube pins.
The PEP efficiency will be in the 60% area so that remaining 40% loss has to
be factored in to the total tube dissipation which can be up to 450W with
air cooling in ICAS service.

Obviously, Class C is a lot more efficient and an easy 1000-1500W of carrier
can be generated with one tube and air cooled. Naturally cooled the ratings
drop considerably.

Carl
KM1H