[Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap. (Results of experiment)

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 10:29:47 PDT 2010

Yikes!  I have received several personal comments since I posted the
results.  I guess some folks don't want to comment publicly.

I did the test since the arguments being made weren't proving anything.
RF current (as does DC and low frequency current) always takes the path
of overall least impedance.  This means the currents spread out as in a
strip line on a PCB where most of the current in the ground is under the
transmission line but a considerable amount spreads out since the ground
has a finite RF resistance.  Likewise in coax some of the shield current
gets to the outside of the coax which means the coax does radiate a
little.  Of course good hard line reduces this number to a minuscule
amount but it still is not zero.

A fun test to do is to calibrate a VNA with a 10' piece of coax that is
terminated in the proper impedance at the end and then bring the end of
the coax back to the VNA and connect the center of the terminated coax
to the VNA case (ground) where the coax exited the VNA.  This would
appear to be a short BUT at frequencies above about 5MHz the SWR will be
less than 1.5:1.  Put some ferrite cores over the coax and this
frequency drops more.  All RF transmission line transformers and current
baluns rely on this to work.

Cool stuff but not theory.  It is real.

Larry, W0QE