[Amps] 2A slo blow in step start

Jim Thomson Jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Mar 21 22:19:34 PDT 2010

From: "Zeitler, Lane LT, FST-1" <zeitlel at cpr3.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 91B problem in Paraguay

In the past when I have had similar symptoms it was the plate xmfr shorted. Both of these instances were Henry desktop amps, one a 1KD-5 and the other a 2KD-5. You need to start unloading, ie, unload the secondary of the plate xmfr and see if it still blows fuses.

Lane
Ku7i

###  Was the FWB  rectifier assy  shorted.. or just the plate xfmr  pri/sec ?    A shorted  fwb  would lay a dead short across the  sec of the plate xfmr.      If the xfmr was actually shorted, this makes henry radio plate xmfr
horror story  #38 and #39.   Henry radio has gone through  at least 4-5 plate xfmr manufacturer's I know of.    They dumped  ECA on the 8 k ultra... and went to someone else... then the 8 k was discontinued.

Subject: [Amps] 91B problem in Paraguay

Turned on my hosts amp this morning and tripped the 2amp slow-blow fuse...Got more fuses this afternoon and same thing keeps happening.
?
Seemed to shut down normally althought there may have been a problem with a sticky T/R relay before turning off the amp.
?
Any ideas what could be causing the 2 amp fuses to blow when turning on the switch?

## The 2 A  slo  blow is part of the  step start  circuitry. If their is a short in the sec, or fwb, etc,  the 2A fuse will blow.  If the step start resistor opened up, and the wide open resistor was shorted,  the 2A  fuse would
also blow.

Later... Jim   VE7RF

?
Thanks