[Amps] big capacitor in HV PS

RICHARD SOLOMON w1ksz at q.com
Mon Mar 22 11:05:26 PDT 2010

Back in my days at MIT (in the 60's) I built a Laser Discharge Power Supply
that had about 240 mfd @ 8 KV. They were discharged through a Pulse
Forming Inductor made of a coil of #12 wire. The output ran through some
coax to the Laser. I kept telling these students not to run over the cable.

Well, you guessed it. One day the cable shorted and the full charge went
through the Inductor. Fortunately, I had shielded the box in sheet metal.
The inductor exploded and bits of wire were sticking through the sheet
metal. Several students had to go home for a change of linen that day !!

That was years before OSHA.

73, Dick, W1KSZ