[Amps] Tuned Input for G-G 50Mhz amp

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Mar 23 11:52:28 PDT 2010

Sounds like loading a mobile antenna or a shorty vertical at home. Works
fine.

Carl
KM1H

I might as well throw in my 6m input matching experience:

I have an Ameritron AL1500 (uses 8877) converted from hf to 6m a few years
back. This amplifier had the input tuned circuits inside a 4" X 4" x 2"
metal box attached to the back side of the front panel by the bandswitch
mounting hardware.

The conversion removed the bandswitch and input box and replaced it with a
small variable C and new aluminum box installed in the same location as the
bandswitch, using the same 3/8" mounting hardware.

There is a small coax cable coming from the T/R relay to the box and another
small cable from the box to the cathode of the 8877. It all sounds simple
but after about 2 weeks of screwing around with T and Pi circuits I gave up.
The best I could do was maybe 2:1 swr.

I even tried modeling the problem with transmission line software but no go.

At that point, I installed a smallish 6 turn air wound coil from the tuning
C to ground. Then, soldered the center conductor of the input coax to turn
#2, and the output coax to turn #3. The swr was immediately better and the
tuning C had a nice sharp peak in drive and dip in swr. After a couple of
experimental relocations of the output coax tap, the swr was perfect.

So, what do you call a tapped coil match?

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/23/2010 10:48:59 A.M. Central Daylight Time,