[Amps] Good engineering

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 01:01:47 PDT 2010

Bill,

I agree with you on the balance.  Got graded down in college for setting the
current through a voltage divider net too high.  My logic, it would be less
susceptible to noise and other influences.  My profs argument - build to
spec, and don't assume that you have more of any asset (in this case Icc)
handy that what you do.  Good lesson.

But what I thought of just now is that there is really not a universal
standard on what is "good amp design" and what is not.  The reason for that
is there are economics and other factors which may exist for one guy, and
not for another.  That's really the reason we see such a spread of products
on the commercial side (where minimalism is needed to get an enterprise
profitable), and on the home brew side where a guy may decide to "cook one
the way I like it done."

Case in point.  Alpha amps.  Famous brick on key demo at Dayton - turns out
the key was wired to a keyer and the amp was running 50% duty cycle via the
K3.  Is that coincidence or a reflection that, brick on key really means
ICAS in the Orr sense of the word (5 min on, 5 min off).  To me, brick on
key means CCS for the entire box.

73/jeff/ac0c