[Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 10:32:02 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:19:30 +0000, Ian White GM3SEK
<gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk> wrote:

>Bill: please can you post photographs of "above" and "below" the
>chassis, so that other people can make their own judgement about the RF
>current path.

REPLY:

Sorry, I don't have any pix, but I can describe it. The load cap is a
vacuum variable, mounted by a metal bracket which connects one side of
the cap to the chassis. The padders (three 470 pF doorknobs) are
mounted to the underside of the chassis, directly under the variable,
each with its own mounting screw. They are connected in parallel and
the "hot" side goes up through a hole in the chassis (obviously) to
the bandswitch, which connects them across the variable in the 160
meter position.

The bandswitch has a separate wafer just for the padders. Some designs
use one wafer for both coil taps and padder switching, but my
bandswitch had an extra wafer so I used it separately. I don't think
that is significant to the discussion, but somebody might so I thought
I'd mention it.

Basic stuff.

73, Bill W6WRT