[Amps] L-4PS Transformer Buzz

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Fri Mar 26 23:28:43 PDT 2010

No, Ryan, I haven't had the time to fiddle with it. The buzz comes and
goes on my supply. It was very loud the other day, but mostly it is not
too bad. The buzz is almost always silent when I turn on the amplifier.
It slowly builds up in amplitude as the amp warms up, although sometimes
if I leave the amp on long enough (on order 30 minutes) the buzz die
back down and go away completely. I suspect it is, as a number of
commentators suggested, some sort of armature effect (a loose piece of
steel moving in response to the time varying magnetic field of the
transformer winding) that has a temperature dependence. Other than this
buzz, the amp appears to work fine.

73, Mike W4EF..........