[Amps] ripple in B+ supply.

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 27 22:38:27 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:26:25 -0400, "Gary Schafer"
<garyschafer at comcast.net> wrote:

>Quote from the 2008 ARRL handbook power supply section:
>"percent ripple is the ratio of RMS value of the ripple to the dc value in
>terms of percentage".

REPLY:

Quote from Wikipedia:  "Ripple factor may be defined as the ratio of
the root mean square (rms) value of the ripple voltage to the absolute
value of the dc component of the output voltage, usually expressed as
a percentage. However, ripple voltage is also commonly expressed as
the peak-to-peak value. This is largely because peak-to-peak is both
easier to measure on an oscilloscope and is simpler to calculate
theoretically."

It is not a question of which is "right", but that both expressions
are in common use, and that is why I recommended that when stating
ripple percentage, it be stated whether RMS or P-P.

73, Bill W6WRT