[Amps] Good engineering

Edward Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sun Mar 28 05:21:09 PDT 2010

On 28th March, Roger wrote:

"...I hate to mention this, but as you mentioned it, many airframes are life
cycle limited. So many takeoffs and landings and it's rebuild time.
Aircraft engines are basically life limited to either so many hours, so many
start cycles, or a combination."

************************************

Ho Roger,

I guess the point being originally made was the fact that the professor in
question was espousing an engineering policy of deliberate "...planned
obsolesence", vs. a "natural" one, i.e. one that follows the laws of physics
& nature, & which can be anticipated & "maintained"...

There's difference between a light bulb burning out after 5 thousand hours,
say, and other things. For instance, can you just imagine the broohaha that
would arise if you were to be on some trans-continental air flight, & a
voice came over the speaker saying, "Good day, ladies & gentlemen, this is
your captain speaking. It may interest you to know that somewhere over
Nebraska the body of this aircraft will have just exceeded the life
expectancy of its stressed aluminum framework. However, our arrival in LAX
should not be affected." Hi Hi.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ