[Amps] Good engineering

Steve Thompson g8gsq at f2s.com
Sun Mar 28 23:46:02 PDT 2010

>> Some semiconductors I worked with years ago were rated for 25 years
>> continuous operation at maximum temperature.  It was said that the
>> tracks inside the part migrated to the next nearest track over time
>> and stress.
> I doubt the tracks themselves migrate.

The metal does migrate, dependent on temperature and current
density. Aluminium is much worse than gold (these are the two
metals mostly used in rf semiconductors). Amongst others, TRW
published some work on this which was carried as a App note in the
Motorola RF data books after the takeover.

There's also something known as 'purple plague' - not migration,
but reaction between gold and aluminium that showed up when gold
metallised die were bonded with aluminium wires.

Steve