[Amps] LCR meter

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 10:30:07 PDT 2010

Here are some real numbers I just measured on a network analyzer
calibrated at the plane of the core being measured.

Core = T94-2 powdered iron u=10, 22 turns #18 occupying about 80% of core

Msmt. freq.     L(measured)

50KHz           3.06uH
100KHz          3.86uH
200KHz          4.53uH
500KHz          4.51uH
1MHz            4.50uH
5MHz            4.50uH
10MHz           4.58uH
20MHz           4.89uH
30MHz           5.52uH
40MHz           6.80uH
68.1MHz         parallel resonant freq.

As can be seen frequencies above 10MHz show the beginning effects of the
parallel resonance and low measurement frequencies underestimate the
inductance by a significant amount.  Also mounting the inductor in a
metal box will reduce the inductance. I suspect if the measurement freq.
was 1KHz the values would be even lower.  I always measure near the
frequency I intend to use the inductor at and if possible with the
inductor mounted in the enclosure.  Then calibrating to the inductor
plane gives the "real" inductance and filters and matching networks come
out as predicted.

73,
Larry, W0QE