[Amps] UNBUILT SB 220 SOLD...I CANNOT TELL A LIE!

Jim Barber audioguy at charter.net
Wed Mar 31 13:45:46 PDT 2010

IMHO, people will collect just about anything - it has little to nothing
to do with usage.

My dad and I used to collect unfired Colt handguns, if they met certain
criteria. (model, production dates, history, factory customizations,
etc) We didn't fire any of them, with the exception of one I bought
specifically as a "shooter". After he died I sold both his and my
collections because it wasn't fun any more.

The value of an item to a collector generally has to do with rarity and
condition, as well as (in some cases) being part of a group. People will
tell you it's about investment but I personally don't believe that's
true, since only a percentage of collectible items bring more at sale
than what was originally paid.

People collect guns, postage stamps, strange-looking dolls - just about
anything you can imagine. Why not rare or unique amateur radio items?

My .02 USD, adjust for your currency as appropriate.

Jim, N7CXI

Dave White wrote:
But what do you do with an unbuilt kit? Look at it?  Keep it as an
investment? Build it and lose half the value?  If it's the last option
then do you regard it as paying $xx per hour for entertainment?  A
premiership soccer game here in the UK probably costs about GBP40 -
perhaps GBP80 in London (Londoners typically have more money than sense)
and that's for 90 minutes' entertainment.  Building the vintage SB220
would probably cost less per hour...

"Bill Fuqua" <wlfuqu00 at uky.edu>