[Amps] stereo to mono

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun May 9 08:31:32 PDT 2010

While the various post WW2 handbooks up into the late 60's carry plenty of
circuits and some design info they all concentrate on space shuttle audio.
Many 30's designs are full of distortion and other problems, post war were
the golden years. The West Coast and properly called the Editors and
Engineers and later the Bill Orr HB are by far superior to the ARRL which
repeated the same circuits for decades. The Orr series went into formulas
for detemining transformer requirements for tubes and/or conditions that
werent in tube manuals.

Probably the biggest AM interest is restoring commercial ham and military
transmitters and modifying for better fidelity. (The BC-610, ART-13, TCS has
become as popular as it was in the past.) Some take it to extremes. Even
Heath and other carrier control rigs are popular as most of the heavy plate
modulated rigs are getting real pricey. Others are converting old AM BCB
rigs to various lower ham bands.

The homebrew Rob mentioned goes from 10-20W up to 450TL's, 4-1000A, 3CX3000,
etc. The biggest problem for QRO is finding and/or affording modulation
transformers. I couldnt find a 1000-1500W transformer for under a mortgage
payment and wound up with a 7500W oil filled for considerably less. It helps
hold down the basement floor when the rains come (-; The orange glowing PP
304TL's dont even faze it.

Get on 40 some evenings, several with yagis regularly work DX, same on 20.
When 10 or 6 is open it can be a blast. Ive even had QSO's on 12, 15, and
17M.

If you hear me, stop and say hi, most rice box rigs sound almost good on AM
when set up properly. They still sound bad on Slop Bucket (-;

Carl
KM1H
AM 160-2M
SSB/CW 160 to 10gHz