[Amps] What's the story on these companies?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue May 11 20:51:37 PDT 2010

On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:34:56 -0400, Sam Carpenter wrote:

>I had a customer who was with HCJB Shortwave in Equator. If I remember
>right, they had a transmitter manufacturing business as a result of them
>building their own transmitters.

That company was related to Crown, the company that first made tape recorders
for missionaries, and later expanded into excellent audio power amps. The
factory was in Elkhart, IN. I've been both a customer and salesman of their
products. An excellent company, quite well run. The press release in the link
below is a bit on the puffy side, but not terribly far from the facts.

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/press/pr78.htm

Crown was purchased by Harman industries 10 years ago. Harman also owns JBL
Pro and a number of other audio companies. I don't know the fate of the
transmitter operation. My impression was always that the transmitter, HCJB,
and radio operations were Clarence's real love, and I've always believed that
he supported them financially with the profits from the audio biz. I've
always heard that he was the inventor of the cubical quad, and the link below
seems to confirm that.

http://www.antennex.com/preview/Jan501/quad1.htm

73,

Jim Brown K9YC