[Amps] LK550 Output

Sam Carpenter sam at owenscommunication.com
Thu May 13 09:18:36 PDT 2010

I had one years ago and got 1850w or so on 75 and below 1500w on 20. I had
initially purchased an LK500 and shipped it back for output not meeting
spec(1200w) I traded up to the 550. Denny said keep the 2 tubes and he would
send only one. When I ran the 550 hard only the 2 original tubes had a
strong glow on the plates. I have since thought that there must have been
quite a balance problem and I was missing quite a bit of output.

If anybody else has one, what kind of output do you see? It had all the
current capacity in the world but voltage I think is too low for big power
on 3-500. I sure loved that amp and have been thinking about getting one
again now that I am seeing them from time to time. I do recall that plugging
that power supply into the LK800 was magic.

Sam Carpenter,  N9FUT