[Amps] Drake L-7 arcing on 80m - with video

Bill Dzurilla billdz.geo at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 23:05:50 PDT 2010

Many thanks to all who watched the video and emailed me with ideas.  I have watched it 50 times and I'm now convinced that the arc occurred in the plate cap stator that has the white graffiti-like traces, as described in a prior post.  The flashes on the coil are just reflections.  If you look carefully through the plastic bubble on back of the plate current meter, you can see the arc originating in the plate tuning capacitor.

Suggested fixes have included:
* replacing the mica caps mounted underneath the rear wafer of the bandswitch,
* replacing the plate blocking capacitors,
* polishing or totally removing the stator with the white traces,
* Carl's suggestion below to try a piece of insulation between the coil and the cap.

Have not yet tried any of these suggestions, but please keep the ideas coming.

73, Bill NZ5N