[Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sun May 23 11:15:40 PDT 2010

Hi Lou,

I saw ur setup at Dayton but I didn't have time to stop and say hello.
 Sorry about that but I'll make a point to do so next year.

A few points:  I don't know what Rauch did or didn't do--for one
thing, I have no idea what the original AL80 was specified to do but
I'll bet if Rauch did design for a 1 KW output amp from a single tube
he assumed low duty cycle and not the maximized processed super
compressed garbage SSB I hear all over the bands now, which is not any
15 to 30% duty cycle.  Ten Tec sells some kind of nasty speech clipper
now where they claim almost 6 dB increase in average power for SSB.
With a 100 w. exciter that's taking average 20 w. and making it almost
80 w. average.  Yikes, must sound beautiful.

Henry's 3-500 amps all had Ep up near the 4 KV maximum--there is a big
difference between that and the AL80B and this guy's amp.  I think the
henry p.s. sagged to 3600 v. under load.  pair 3-500 let's say max Ip
800 ma you get 2900 w. input @ 70% efficiency you get 2 KW out and the
tubes are under their maximum plate dissipation.  So, you are correct
in saying this guy should have a higher Ep.

Let's look at his situation.  I think he has 1.95 KV.  520 ma.  I get
a little over 1 KW input.  He says he has 400 w. out. Then the tube is
dissipating 600 w.  Okay, maybe not all the time.  If he is running
gentlemanly SSB and has a lot of fan maybe he is okay if we follow
your thinking.

I freely confess to being careful and conservative, perhaps to a fault.

If he is overdriving the amp and/or has a lot of heavy processing
things may not be so good.   If he is running his data mode which is
100% d/c then the tube seems to be dissipating 100 w. over its limit
for the whole transmission.

73

Rob
K5UJ