[Amps] Bridging 120v loads across HV primary windings

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 31 13:15:08 PDT 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:05:54 -0700, Vic K2VCO wrote:

>If I put the filament transformer across one half and the screen supply across
>the other, would the unbalanced currents cause the voltage on the lightly loaded
>side to be excessive?

Hi Vic,

It's perfectly OK to hang a small load across half of a center-tapped primary.
"Small" is in comparison to the primary current. Ten Tec does this for the fan in
their 425 amp. The only thing I would worry about is pushing the transformer
beyond its ratings, or generating a LOT of imbalance.

73,

Jim K9YC