[Amps] Questions from a beginner

Robert Morris robrk at nidhog.net
Mon Oct 4 20:40:37 PDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 11:24 PM, k7fm wrote:

This is in response to Eric, wanting to add an amplifier to his Icom 703+.

Eric, there is a major problem.  The Icom 703+ is a qrp rig, with an output
of 5 or 10 watts.

At the power level , you may be better off building a 5 - 100 watt solid
state amplifier - but you will have to learn about solid state circuits and
building.

73,  Colin  K7FM

Maybe a bit less of a learning curve would be an AB1 grid driven amp.
6146's, 1 or 2 or 3,  4-400, 4cx250's to 4cx1500.

My first amp was a pair of 4CX250's with a Central 20a at 5 watts out. My high school buddy was doing a 4-1000 with a 20a.
And as the old guys did, when you get a fancy 100w driver, swamp the grid or ground it.
believed to be clean.