[Amps] Questions from a beginner

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Oct 5 07:20:02 PDT 2010

I see several possibilities.

A NCL-2000 running on the low power tap will drive to a respectable power
level depending on actual drive. At the IC-703's 10W rating figure on
600-800W out. Running it at less than ratings is one easy way of keeping the
tubes happy.

Johnson Thunderbolt, far from expensive but rather bulky and heavy.

P&H LA-400 will get you to the next stage to drive a bigger GG amp

A modified CB amp. Most use a single GG stage to take 4-5W to drive 2-4 more
of the same. Easy to make over to 80-10M with acceptable linearity. Finding
affordable tubes may require using the higher filament voltage versions and
a new filament transformer or a DC bench type PS.

SS....yuk (-;

Carl
KM1H