[Amps] Switching Supplies for High Current Filaments

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 19:40:59 PDT 2010

The problem with switchers or using any regulated supply is the cold
resistance of the heater/filament is typically 10% of the hot resistance. That
issue is automatically handled by the current limitations of a typical
filament  transformer. The transformer becomes pretty much a constant current
source until  the heater temperature rises enough to get the transformer out of
saturation.

On big tubes requiring many amps of filament current this can be a real
problem. If the transformer has to supply say 30 amps, then it will supply
many  times more current than that for short periods of time. A cold tube can
be  subjected to very high stress under these circumstances and can even have
the  filament burned open, just like a 100w light bulb blows out. No
problem with the  $1 light bulb but loosing a big tube that way is heart breaking.
(Been there,  done that, have multiple tee shirts).

The solution to the over current problem is reducing the startup voltage
enough that the 10% filament resistance still draws rated current. That takes
 10% voltage according to ohm's law.

So, for any regulated and current limited power supply, there needs to be a
 method of starting at low voltage and ramp it up as the tube warms up.

Being the concept guy, I will bow out at this point and leave the answer to
 others. I have the answer for transformer filament power sources but no
clue how  to do it with a switcher or any other regulated/current limited
supply. If it  was actually a current limited supply, not a current shutdown
design, all would  be well and the tube could warm up with a constant rated
current source. A  regulated current design instead of voltage would be
wonderful.

By the way, that 10% resistance figure applies to light bulbs as well. The
hot resistance can be estimated by r  equals voltage squared divided by
wattage rating. That is the well known power = e squared divided by
resistance formula turned around backwards. The cold resistance can be measured  with
a VOM or DVM.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/5/2010 11:01:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,