[Amps] Switching Supplies for High Current Filaments

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Oct 6 21:26:00 PDT 2010

##  The typ cold resistance of a light bulb is 10% of the hot resistance.
On tubes, it's
even worse, typ 12%.   On the few switcher's we experimented with.. all had
a built in ramp up
feature on start up.   IE:  with no load on the switcher's output,  the
output Vdc  would ramp up
anyway.  With a load  ALREADY connected [oxide tube only]... the switcher is
then turned on... and it goes
through it's ramp up feature.   Between that and the current limiting
feature... the switcher will
not cro-bar itself.    But this only worked if the switcher's output current
rating was aprx double the
tubes rating.   IE:  tube fil was 3.6A.... a 8A switcher will just work...a
5 A switcher would not work.

> Agreed! Ever try to hook a headlamp across an Astron power supply?  Pretty
> tough to do..

##  was the astron turned on 1st..... then the headlamp connected ?    Or
did you
hook the headlamp to the astron 1st.... then  turn on the astron ?  Is the
astron a
switcher type ?

> 73
> Jim W7RY

> From: <TexasRF at aol.com>

>> method of starting at low voltage and ramp it up as the tube warms up.

 If it  was actually a current limited supply, not a current
>> shutdown
>> design, all would  be well and the tube could warm up with a constant
>> rated
>> current source. A  regulated current design instead of voltage would be
>> wonderful.

##  On my little  lab type switcher supply, the current limit can be
adjusted to any value.
If set  for normal rated tube current [ + maybe 1%]  it will perform just
like you wanted.
You can cro-bar the output all you want, and all it does it put out the max
current you dialed
in.   So this type of switcher will work as well.

## None of these switcher's  will work on a thoriated tungsten  tube like a
3-500.  The B-
return for any thoriated tungsten tube is via the CT  of the conventionl fil
xfmr sec.

Jim  VE7RF