[Amps] Which LDG Autotuner for Amp Input?

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 05:04:20 PDT 2010

Hi Paul, there is no reason the tuner "has" to be inside the amplifier is
there? If so, maybe a tuner can be scavenged for the application.

When you pick a tuner, it needs to be a unit that retains the relay
settings when turned off. Otherwise, it will be hunting as the amplifier input Z
varies with speech waveforms etc.

There have been LDG models in the past used for QRP/portable work that
operated this way to help conserve battery power. Their specs should cover this
 issue.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/9/2010 6:24:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
paul at n1bug.com writes:

Lee  Buller wrote:
> But, I picked up the ARRL Handbook this morning on the  way to the
"reading room"
> and saw a project that used a commercial  auto tuner to do the job of the
input
> matching.  It is an LDG  autotuner they sell without a box.

This isn't in any of the Handbooks I  happen to own. I tried looking
on LDG's web site but found no autotuner  without a box. Maybe it is
a special order item? Does anyone have more  info on this?

I am looking for some way to get better SWR on my  homebrew amp
input, and make it more consistent across all bands. It is a
homebrew cathode driven 4CX1500B and I have no real idea what the
tube  input impedance is. I opearate 99.9% CW so an autotuner might
be an  attractive option *if* I can fit it in the box.

73,
Paul  N1BUG
Amps mailing  list
Amps at contesting.com