[Amps] Fw: diode junction temps and thermal resistance

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Oct 20 13:41:41 PDT 2010

Subject: Re: [Amps] diode junction temps and thermal resistance

Jim, in using the string of diodes for bias, do you notice any drift in the idle current as they warm up? Purchased in quantity these big diodes are way less expensive than a big zener diode and would be easy to mount on a small perfboard.

Makes one wonder why some company doesn't offer premade zener substitutes along the line of K2AW's hv diode designs.

Is there a downside to this method of generating cathode bias?

73,
Gerald K5GW

###  It does not budge  on 7 x different amps! [idle zsac].   Henry radio used the eq of a K2AW  block for bias  for their
8K ultra. Inside the single module was  15-20 x diodes in series.   I consistently measure a 10% increase
in V drop across each diode, when toggling between say 200 ma...and  2A.  That was done on the test jig.
I was trying to simulate idle current / full bore CXR on a 3CX-3000A7.  I toggled between 200 ma + 4A  as well,
and the diff was 12%.  On ssb, you won't see it vary much at all.  Put a  big lytic across the entire string, and it
won't even budge on ssb.  [The more current current you pull... the bigger the V drop. If the diode gets hot, the V drop
will go down, so the 2 x sorta  negate each other]

##  before somebody goes off on a tangent abt Bias regulation, consider the big V drop across the grid chokes
in a SB-220. [ another reason I toss em and strap the grids to the chassis]  In any circuit that uses electronic grid
protection schemes, they also have a V drop across a sense resistor. In both cases that's just more un- wanted bias.

##  If you cut open a K2AW block...sometimes you will find a string of 1N5408's inside.  If you mount the diodes  on
perf board, and keep the leads long, then you can pull more average current through them.  I don't even mess with
1N5408's these days. Just buy 6A10's in bulk.  Both have the same 16 ga leads on each end..and both are the same length.
A 6A10 is double the diam of a 1N5408 [ in 1 kv].   The 1 kv variety are bigger diam then the 800 v types.  You can get em
down to 50 v, but don't bother.   the bigger diam 1 kv units handle heat better.  I use the 1 kv type in HV  supplies as well
as meter protection, and bias, etc.  The 6A10 in 1 kv format....bought in bulk is a good one diode does everything.

Jim   VE7RF