[Amps] AL-811H Question

Charles Mills w3yni1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:42:40 PDT 2010

Recently replaced the 4 811 tubes in my AL-811H with a matched quad.

I replaced them because, upon turning the amp on a while back I heard a loud
POP and the amp went dead.

The fuse blew.  Replaced Fuse -- same result.

Spoke to some amp gurus around here and said the tubes were probably
shorting out as they were bad - - replace.  So I did.

Now when I turn on the rig and tune up I am apparently getting RF into the
AMP as the plate and grid meters move and behave as expected through the
tuneup
procedures.  However, I show no power out whatsoever from the amp.

Any ideas what to check next?  I'm thinking I blew another component
somewhere and plan to take the cover off to see if the smoke has been let
out of anything.

Thanks,
Chuck