[Amps] AL-811H Question

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 16:55:54 PDT 2010

Check the antenna change-over relay.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

--- On Fri, 10/22/10, Charles Mills <w3yni1 at gmail.com> wrote:

Recently replaced the 4 811 tubes in my AL-811H with a matched quad.

I replaced them because, upon turning the amp on a while back I heard a loud POP and the amp went dead.

The fuse blew.  Replaced Fuse -- same result.

Spoke to some amp gurus around here and said the tubes were probably shorting out as they were bad - - replace.  So I did.

Now when I turn on the rig and tune up I am apparently getting RF into the AMP as the plate and grid meters move and behave as expected through the tuneup procedures.  However, I show no power out whatsoever from the amp.

Any ideas what to check next?  I'm thinking I blew another component somewhere and plan to take the cover off to see if the smoke has been let out of anything.