[Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 16:07:22 PDT 2010

Noise can come from the power supply diodes if there is a choke in there. I
built a power supply for a receiver many years ago and I used diodes for the
rectifiers and a choke input filter because the transformer voltage was too
high. I chased the noise problem around for quite awhile. I ended up with
around a .02mf capacitor as the input capacitor and that killed the noise
from the diodes. Had there been no choke in the filter the filter capacitor
would have done the job by itself.

As to resistors and capacitors across modern diodes, it can cause diodes to
be destroyed. Modern diodes have an avalanche area in the reverse direction
that conducts if the reverse voltage gets too high. That will equalize the
reverse current in all the diodes as they are all in series.

73
Gary  K4FMX