[Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 20:18:16 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:32:44 -0700, Jim Barber <audioguy at charter.net>
wrote:

>, and it occurs to me to wonder if anyone has ever really heard
>HV rectifier "white noise" in the receiver?

REPLY:

Years ago doing TV repair, it was common to replace one kind of silicon
diodes with another kind and all of a sudden have strong noise produced
which showed up as balck bars in the picture. A .001 uF cap across each
new diode fixed the problem. Apparently the newer diodes had a more
sharp switching characteristic and produced a more sharply squared off
current waveform, richer in harmonics than the old diodes.

In theory, the same could happen with amateur HF equipment, except that
maximum current when transmitting occurs when the receiver is off.

If it were me, I would install the caps so as to not worry about it.

73, Bill W6WRT