[Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Oct 31 16:56:29 PDT 2010

From: "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:38 AM
To: <garyschafer at comcast.net>; "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom at telus.net>;
<amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

> Im telling you. At times, especially during storms, there will be
> transients. Id also hate to see the transients from a sudden power failure
> where the power kicks off and back on as a pole breaker trips and resets.
> This is a rather normal occurance around here caused by wind or a drunk.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

###  I agree with this.  Back in 1988, at the Telco office I worked in, the
3 phase power
all went off-on-off-on-off-on...all  within 5 seconds. This was a power co
problem, no windstorms.
The surges and spikes  from the above  took out 8 x dc-dc power supplies,
they all had popped their
40A breakers!   Each of the  40 x  dc-dc power supplies consisted  of -52.8
vdc  going into em [via a
7A 3agc type fuse]  and the output was +5vdc @ 40A CCS , [with a 40A
breaker].  Neither the the 7A
fuse on the input, nor the 40A on the output were fast types either.

 The -52.8vdc  comes from the UPS setup, which in any Telco, consists of
paralleled -52.8vdc rectifiers
[pwr supplies],typ 100-800A variety, all feeding a common buss.  24 x 189 kg
batteries are strung in series,
 [12 above 12], typ 1900-2500 AH lead acid types, with just over 2 vdc per
battery [aka....cell].  1-12 strings
of batteries are all in parallel via the common buss.    No fuses between
each string of batteries and the buss.
208 vac 3 phase  [and sometimes 480 vac]  is fed to the inputs of the
paralleled  rectifiers.

## The surge / spike  had gotten past the huge Josyln  [fused]  MOV's  [all
3 x are wired phase to neutral].   The spike
had gotten past the pair of -52.8vdc @ 200 A power supplies, past the string
of batteries... and then into the -52.8dc
to + 5vdc converters....and blew their slo-output breakers.   This was the
only instance I saw this happen... once in 34 yrs.
Now if ur in an area, like Carl, with commercial AC pwr coming and going,  I
can see this being a big problem.  Talk to any
electrician who works in a pulp mill, and they will give you an earful
about spikes, surges and transients.

##  another method you will see in the Orr books is a RC  snubber, directly
across the sec of the plate xfmr.  I tried the
snubber across the sec of  my pole pig.  I don't know how effective it is.
Another method is putting a  .0047uf or .01uf
cap across the sec of the plate xfmr.   Locating the snubber / cap  across
the primary of the plate xfmr may be another option,
and probably a better one.

Jim  VE7RF.