[Amps] Amp Supply information

Sam Carpenter sam at owenscommunication.com
Fri Sep 3 07:12:32 PDT 2010

Amp Supply was run by Denny Had in North Carolina I seem to remember. I
bought several from him and was always pleased with the amps and the
personal service that I received. He had a lot of "outside the box" Ideas.
There was an amp that looked like yours with an  outbourd xfrmr and (3)
3-500z tubes called the LK550. If you really wanted to step up you could use
the LK550 Transformer on the LK800 that had (3) 3cx800a7 tubes. It would
scream along at over 4kw. A special version the LK800TNY was made with 2
taps on the outbound transformer that were switched from the RF deck. On low
you got around 2500 watts and on high almost double. There was also the
LK450 with a single 3-500. He also made some sweep tube amps, tuners, single
band mobiles (relable) and other accessories. Most of the amps, in my
opinion were pretty well made and most had lockouts for bad conditions. I
think that the amps were competitively priced and he never made big money. I
do think he enjoyed what he did. I want to say one more thing. Denny was a
very loyal and decent guy. I had a tv and appliance shop at the time. He
would buy his tvs and appliances from me, in Indiana, and pay to have them
shipped to NC because he felt like if I was his customer, he would keep the
business with his customer.

I think Denny is still playing amplifier with tubes but this time making
bigger dollars with a high end audiophile crowd. I think the name of the
company is Cary Audio and is on the web. It is said that he has built a few
LK800s off and on in spare time for some folks in the past few years. I hope
my memory is good. I think everything is accurate. Hope it helps.

Sam N9FUT