[Amps] vacuum variable caps

DAVE WHITE mausoptik at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 6 11:43:21 PDT 2010

Hi Mike - just a case of convenience versus complexity really.
 If you ground the shaft side you just have to isolate from ground and design for RF 'live" around one simple connection.  If you ground the non-shaft end you have to cope with mounting against the panel via insulators and isolating RF from the knob, turns counter or motor, which would be more complex.  You could use an insulated shaft isolator, flange mount the far end and leave the front of the capacitor "floating" and held in place by the shaft unless you mount via an insulator at the front too
Electrically I can't think of any difference.  For convenience I've always mounted and decked the shaft end.  Hope that helps
Dave G0OIL