[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 93, Issue 16

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 00:31:32 PDT 2010

Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]

And if you ever forget to make that ground connection before you hot
plug the single-wire HV connection, you'll have a lethal live chassis.

We all make mistakes, but that particular one would be a pure waste of a
life.

> but
>that is true for any connector configuration.

No, that is NOT true! If you choose a coaxial HV connection
automatically, it comes with its own built-in ground return. Even if no
other connections exist, you won't have a live chassis.

Coaxial HV does have its own set of fault scenarios, but none of these
can possibly override the safety advantages of the built-in ground
return.

SHV connectors have been very carefully designed with deeply recessed
pins on both male and female. If they are hot plugged, the connector
bodies will make a good ground connection *before* the HV contacts come
together. Likewise when unplugged, the HV connection is broken before
the ground connection.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek