[Amps] SHV connectors great, but where to find coax?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Sep 13 07:49:30 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby at onetel.net>
To: "'AMPS'" <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] SHV connectors great, but where to find coax?

> On 09/13/10 07:18 AM, Roger wrote:
>
>> What we do have to remember though is we may not always be around.  Some
>> one other than us may end up moving things.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Roger (K8RI)
>
> Exactly.
>
> I assume none of the people proposing using PL-259 plugs for HV are
> chartered
> engineers. The Engineering Council in the UK would I expect strip someone
> of
> their CEng status if an individual proposed such silly things.

Thankfully the UK nanny state hasnt completely polluted our shores yet and
enroached upon an individuals rights to do as he wishes including removing
himself from the gene pool. Pretty soon we might be forced to have prayer
rugs in our shacks before operating if our UK brethren continue on their
current path.

Even if you do
> this at home, you are putting the lives of others at risk.
>
>  * Children might accidentally get into the shack and unplug a cable.
>
>  * You might have an accident, an ambulance called, and they need to
> remove a
> cable. I expect they would switch things off before touching electrical
> equipment, but would not reasonably expect a cable to be alive when
> powered off,
> which will happen in this case due to the time for the HV capacitors to
> discharge.
>
> There are a number of "unlikely" but probably fatal circumstances in which
> this
> would be an issue.

Im sure the shaky knee and quivering lipped dreamers on here can think of
several things to occupy their minds.

For me, simple signs on each piece of HV equipment should suffice to warn
emergency personnel.  My children all made it safely to adulthood and no
family animals have been killed. Maybe a few mice but thats probably from
the liberal application of poison pellets; thats a side benefit of rural
living.

I expect others to act as they wish in a free society, taking all the issues
to mind. AND totally ignore the nanny staters who would make you afraid to
ever operate anything with over 24V involved.

Carl