[Amps] Possible issue with B- "floating down"

David H Craig davidhcraig at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 20:45:00 PDT 2010

    Foating B- above chassis ground is necessary & sound practice.  That
said, you don't need to fear metering or otherwise called "float" resistors
between B- and chassis ground, so long as they are accompanied by a SINGLE
(or pair) of diodes facing ground (from B-)- Lunar link, e.g., uses a 1N5408
(plus resistor & cap) to ground  in the PS section (& and also the same in
the RF deck ro ground -remote PS)- you just have to make the parallel
resistors = to the necessary value in parallel for the meters.  1N15408s and
single resistor from B- to ground on each side of the amp (PS & RF deck)
plus a HV cap work great.  If a resistor(s) blow open, no problem, the
diodes blow the breaker or fuses.  I use this configuration on all my HB
amps and 0 issues.  Ommiting the diodes, however, will create an issue if
the float resistor opens- then you'll be hunting shorts like a a madman
until you realize the float resistor is open (been there, done that, in 3rd
world countries).  The potential from B- to chassis ground will be so great
if the resitor(s) blow you'll get immediate shorts (or arcs anyway) from all
over until you find the float / shunt resistor is blown.  Use the diodes in
parallel, keep the shunt, and you'll be fine.  Just be prepared to replace
the shunt R & (maybe) the shunted diodes in case of major mishap.

    73 Dave N3DB