[Amps] 6146 or 2E26 modulator info

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Sep 20 18:28:28 PDT 2010

You will only need around 2-4W to drive the 4-400 tuned grid driven to even
beyond its capability as an AM linear, about 10W swamped grid . A 2E26 would
be loafing as the Class C final and could be modulated by any number of
tubes to provide 15-20W of audio including 2E26's, 815, 6L6's, etc at well
below their ratings.

In the 60's I operated 6M with a CE 10A driving a 815 TX converter at 15W
out and into a converted NCL-2000 at 350W out on AM and 1200W on SSB/CW.
That was swamped grid and I still use that amp at the same drive power for
SSB/CW.

Mod transformers show often on Fleabay, either fixed impedance or multitap.
Then its only necessary to match a fixed impedance to the correct tubes or
just connect the dots on a multi tap.

OTOH, why not cathode modulate the 4-400? Output will be about the same at
the savings of a plate modulator. Granted you cant benefit from exotic
processing circuitry and 125% positive peaks but its simple.

My own 6M AM rig is a 4CX250B modulated by 811A's; aka Clegg Zeus at 125W
carrier or 500W PEP. The companion Interceptor B is the receiver

Carl
KM1H.