[Amps] Why are 833s so Expensive

Roger roger at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Sep 26 21:41:00 PDT 2010

On 9/26/2010 11:13 PM, Alek Petkovic wrote:
> Yeah, I've just bought 4 GU81M's and Dr Alex is posting me a pair of
> sockets as I write.
>
> Should be an interesting project. . . . if I can ever find the time.

At least it'll be impressive looking.  Staying within the ratings, they
are derated in a hurry as you go up in frequency, but OTOH the GU81M is
noted for being rugged. How far they can be pushed? I don't know.

The schematic listed shows a pair running 3 KW PEP up through 10 meters
which is well beyond limits in the data sheet.  OTOH they appear to hold
up well running them like that. It'd be interesting to see what the IM
products are running them that hard.

I've been told by RUSSIAN hams that about the only way to hurt one is
with a hammer.

I have one, but am thinking of getting at least one more, a couple of
sockets and building a single band amp to start... Either 160 or 75.

I'd definitely have to keep it in the shop though as the hamshack in the
house/den is only 10X12 and it gets hot in here with just the computers
except during the really cold months.

73

Roger (K8RI)