[Amps] 4-250A testing

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 13:32:39 PDT 2010

To test for emission, it would seem that the grid voltage would need to be
zero or even positive to simulate the effect of the peak driving voltage.

If the emission is normal this would cause a very high cathode current,
maybe too high if left for more than a few milliseconds. So, some kind of
pulse  test would be safer and less stressful on the tube.

Emission can appear normal until the cathode current reaches a level of
saturation. If this happens at a level too low, then we call that weak
emission.  A tube characteristic chart will show these currents and can be used to
evaluate  cathode emission.

Use of AC on the screen and plate will certainly allow a pulse test of
sorts. You might try the test with no grid voltage and see how that plays. The
lower voltage you are using seems a good idea as well.

Also, the AC cycle needs to be in the same phase for both the screen and
plate. Otherwise peak plate voltage will happen when there is reverse
polarity  on the screen and visa versa. High positive screen voltage with no or
reverse  plate voltage is not good for the screen as it will try to accept all
of the  electrons emitted from the cathode and that can be a bunch.

This is a very interesting subject and I hope you test further and let us
know what you discover.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/27/2010 3:11:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,