[Amps] what is a 4 wire 240VAC service?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Apr 3 09:48:25 PDT 2011

Altho the 4 wire has been SOP in industrial sites for ages it is a result of
nanny state busybodies where it is now mandated in our homes with appliances
that also require 120V. The old appliances that are in the house now are
grandfathered.

Before your dryer ran the 120V motor and SS LV transformers between the hot
side and a neutral/ground and it worked fine for 60 or so years with a 3
wire feed.

This is the same as Henry, Alpha, Johnson, maybe others, and plenty of
homebrewers did as well and most are probably still running that way without
fried hams making the news.

Yes, today it is not considered "good engineering practice" and its easily
remedied with transformers that are wound with 120/240 options by placing
the 120V needs across one of the primaries. Those with 240V only
transformers are left with a decision.....do it the easy way or run a
separate 120V line plus separate switching.

Carl
KM1H