[Amps] what is a 4 wire 240VAC service?

Martin A Flynn maflynn at theflynn.org
Sun Apr 3 11:38:20 PDT 2011

Our club station is having a new electrical service installed courtesy
of the our host.    All of the receptacles specified  for power
amplifiers are 3 wire, four pole grounding.  (NEMA L14-20R)

The licensed professional engineer (PE)  is not providing any
receptacles that does not provide a neutral in his design.   When asked,
he said he could not endorse an 2 wire, three  pole grounding (NEMA
L6-20R)  configuration due to liability reasons.