[Amps] what is a 4 wire 240VAC service?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 3 12:27:31 PDT 2011

On 4/3/2011 12:08 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> For amateur amplifiers that run ONLY on 240V, 4 wire service should not be required by code or UL.  The neutral is only for safety and does not carry any current except in the case of a failure.

This is bass akwards.  A power that runs on 240V MUST draw power between
the two sides of 240 volts. NO NEUTRAL CONNECTION IS NEEDED UNLESS that
power amp also needs power at 120V (typically to run a 120V fan).  The
ground (Green wire) is the SAFETY ground, and must be connected only to
the enclosure.  The primary of the power transformer MAY have a center
tap, but it MUST NOT BE GROUNDED.  The center-tap COULD legally be
connected to a neutral, but there is no good reason to do so.  Further,
it is a SERIOUS violation of safety codes to connect Neutral to ground,
AND A CAUSE OF NOISE, HUM, AND RFI,

PLEASE study either NEC or my tutorial before you spread any more
misinformation.

73, Jim K9YC