[Amps] Fw: Re: 4 wire 240VAC service? What to do now?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 14:23:33 PDT 2011

It makes no difference if they are both tied together at the outlet in your
case provided,, that is a straight run to the panel with no other outlets
along the way and the panel serving it is the main service entrance panel
and not a sub panel.

Note that sometimes a main panel is wired as a sub panel with the main
breaker located outside the house and the distribution panel located inside.
In this case the main breaker panel outside is your main service entrance
panel and the ground and neutral would be bonded there and not in the
distribution panel located inside.

The best thing to do with the neutral wire at the outlet if you are going to
use only the ground is to put a wire nut on the neutral wire and leave it.

73
Gary  K4FMX