[Amps] 4 wire 240VAC service? What to do now?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 18:38:02 PDT 2011

Being that it is only 120 volts you have a hot, neutral and a ground wire
run out there. You should have the ground wire from the main panel connected
to the ground buss in the sub panel along with the local ground rod out
there. Do not bond the neutral to the sub panel ground.

If you were running 220 to the building with only 3 wires then you would
bond the neutral to the ground at the sub panel. In this case the neutral
and ground lead would be one and the same.  In the US the NEC no longer
allows this type of connection but has grandfathered old existing systems.

No matter how things are connected always remember that there must be a wire
connection between your safety ground connection and neutral somewhere in
the system in order for a reliable means of tripping a breaker in case of a
fault of hot to equipment cabinet.
 That somewhere should be at the main service entrance point to avoid any
normal current on the ground lead.

73
Gary  K4FMX