[Amps] Silver plated copper strap source anyone?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Apr 5 10:01:05 PDT 2011

Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 22:29:32 -0500
From: "bob" <w9zv at comcast.net>
Subject: [Amps] Silver plated copper strap source anyone?

Anyone have a good source for some new 1/4", 3/8",  and 1/2"  silver plated
copper strap suitable for use in wiring the bandswitch/tank-circuit up or
creating a coil on an amp/tuner?

 -bob

##  I have looked and looked over the years myself...and found the odd
surplus scaps gere and there..and usually at wicked prices.  I gave up on that
and  instead just silver plate the straps  myself.    Our local super metal market
[franchised all over NA]  has 3' x 7' sheets  of CU  in various thickness's  from
.005"  up to .125"  and everything in-between.  I get them to shear me off several
3' lengths'   and usually in 3/4"  and 1"  widths. The best trhickness's that are strong, yet
thin enough to easily work with  are .028"   up to no more than .032" .   [ I use those
thickness's  for tank coil taps to the model 88/85 bandswitch's I use, etc]

## for  winding stuff like  10/12/6m tank  coils..made from strap wound flat... like
a paraistic suppressor... the thickness is increased a bit...to .048"  to .065"  That makes
it more  ridgid.

##  I silver plat  all my vatious straps and hb  tubing tank coils, and strap coils with this
goop called... 'cool-amp' ..made by  the cool-amp co in Ore.

http://www.cool-amp.com/     They make a 2nd product... called "conducto-lube"..and I use
that stuff, [which is just grnd up pure silver powder in grease]   for any sliding contacts on
relays and contacts  on contactors,  bnadswitch contacts, etc.   For relay's etc,  I clean the contacts
1st..then  silver plate em with cool-amp.    Then a tiny layer  of  conducto-lube is applied.  Then
you end up with a zero ohm joint every time.   You will  end up with zero ohms  with just the silver plating alone.
If you had heat build up before cuz of losuy contacts, you won't after this stuff is applied.

## When applied to Cu straps and hb tubing/strap tank coils..like the typ  1/4"- 3/8'  1/2" variety..the finish comes out
superb. It actually looks a lot better than if the same piece was silver plated  by the dip in tank method.  It doesn't really
tarnish either.   I bought a 1/2 lb jar of the cool-amp powder. it has an indefinate shelf life.   I use a tiny spoon and place
some of the powder onto the side of the SS sink...then apply a few drops of water.  it's then mixed really good, until I get a
good liquidy paste, but not too dry or wet.

##  ALL the cu straps  HAVE to be clean before hand.  I use  those scouring pads..that look like bulldog steel wool pads..but
smaller...and they come soaked in this dry blue powder stuff.     The cleaning pads  are used by the wife  for cleaning SS pots
and pans etc.   Typ go by the name of   'jet pads'....and 'SOS pads'   in the cleaning section of any grocery store.  Use a tiny bit of water
on the cleaning pad..and scrub the cu straps and coils  really good, until they are squeaky clean.  then rinse in warm water, and dry em
really good.   Ok, the conducto-lube paste mix is then applied to the 1st piece.    Factory sez to use a small cloth to apply, but I found that
the best method appears to be when you get in there with all 10 x fingers.    I wear some latex/vinyl gloves... like your dentist uses..and
then you can apply the glop  a lot better..and faster.   When you are satisfied that you didn't miss any where..then the excess  glop is removed..
and applied to the next CU strap..with ur fingers.   The finsished piece is then simply rinsed under warm water..and CAREFULLY  dried..by initally
placing finished pieces  on some paper toweling [ bounty brand works the best]... and patting it dry.

##  of course, the  various straps are 1st prepped  with the required hole[S]  punched into each end  with a #5 roper whitney hand punch tool.
Those #5 hand punch's  come with 7 x punch's and dies..and  range  from 3/32"   up to 9/32"...[in 1/32" increments]    I found long ago that you can't
drill holes in thin CU strap worth a damn..even when done carefully in a drill press.  Also, the straps  are  1st cut with chromolly tin snips [ they come in red/yellow/green]
to the desired length .  Georgia copper sells Cu strap, in rolls in various thickness's and widths.

later....... Jim  VE7RF