[Amps] Alpha vs Henry

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Apr 5 16:08:13 PDT 2011

On 4/4/2011 10:44 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]

And if that is the case there are a lot of amps being sold that either
don't make sense, or are using false advertising.
Do 4 811As running 800 watts make sense?  How about 8877s with anemic
power supplies that will hit 1500 pep in casual conversation, but won't
last through a contest? How about a pair of 3-500s running 1500 watts
from an amp you can carry under one arm?  It'll run the legal limit, but
not for long on digital or contesting.  The 8877 and 3-500 examples are
legal limit amps, but they won't do it all modes key down or even SSB in
contesting.

So I stick with the above statement. If you want it to hold up
contesting, or any other mode using a high duty cycle then it needs to
be able to do almost twice that ICAS.

73

Roger (K8RI)