[Amps] Where is power measured ?

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Sun Apr 10 15:05:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 4/7/2011 9:26 AM, TexasRF at aol.com wrote:
> > I guess I am wondering how much of the 160m QRM is cross mod vs radio
> > station harmonics.
> >

> Good question. When I lived in Chicago, I heard occasional mixes that
> I'm pretty sure were NOT generated at any of the stations involved.
> They came and went as if switched at random times, and not at times that
> corresponded to pattern or power changes.

I had a mix on 1830kHz that would FADE in and out sometimes.  One night that
it was particularly clear I figured out was that it was CHU on 3330 mixing
with a loud local on 1500kHz.  That explained the fading.

At some point a couple years ago it started to BURST in and out and became a
real problem.  That's when I discovered the source: the nonlinear element
was the bearings in a little TV rotor I was using to turn a lightweight mast
with one of my Moxons on it.  THe mast wasn't too far from my flag.  I
strapped around the rotor and it went away.

73
Dan